Special correspondent : Chief Adviser Professor Muhammad Yunus on Wednesday said preparations for the 13th parliamentary elections and the referendum on the July National Charter have entered the final phase, with February 12 set as the decisive day.“Our step-by-step preparations have begun starting from Wednesday with February 12 as the final target. The Election Commission’s directives are now paramount, and everyone must work in line with those instructions,” he said at a high-level meeting on law and order held at the Chief Adviser’s Office.Chaired by Professor Yunus, the meeting reviewed overall security and logistical preparations ahead of the polls.
Stressing the government’s role, the chief adviser said supporting the Election Commission was a core responsibility. “This is a major national challenge. We must complete it successfully and make the election a historic achievement,” he said.He called for utmost focus to ensure there are no lapses on polling day. “There must be no shortcomings anywhere on February 12. Let this election set an example for future polls,” he added.
Professor Yunus said the Ministry of Home Affairs would play a central role in maintaining law and order, noting that the election poses new and complex technical challenges. He confirmed that body cameras and CCTV systems would be used, with monitoring conducted from a central control room.
He also emphasised the need for close coordination among all forces and said a large number of domestic and international journalists and observers would cover the election. “They are taking this election very seriously, and so must we. Given the current situation and preparations, a good election is possible,” he said.The chief adviser further noted that candidates were maintaining a positive and cooperative attitude and expressed hope that this would continue.
EC Secretary Akhtar Ahmed informed the meeting that 51 of the 59 registered political parties are participating in the election. Representatives from 26 countries have been invited as observers, while the European Union is expected to deploy an observation mission of around 300 members. Already, 56 EU representatives are in Bangladesh, with two having observed the nomination appeal process.
He said election campaigning would be allowed from midnight Wednesday until 7:30am on February 10. He also cautioned that misinformation in cyberspace would be a major challenge and urged the media to act responsibly, noting that additional time would be required to count party symbol ballots, referendum ballots and postal ballots.
Power, Energy and Mineral Resources Adviser Muhammad Fawzul Kabir Khan said his ministry was working to ensure uninterrupted electricity supply on election day. Special Assistant to the Chief Adviser for Posts, Telecommunications and Information Technology Faiz Ahmed Tayyab said steps were being taken to ensure uninterrupted mobile network and internet services at all polling stations.
Army Chief General Waqar-uz-Zaman said 3,619 weapons were looted from police stations during the August 2024 mass uprising, of which 2,259—around 62.4%—have been recovered. Of the 456,418 rounds of ammunition looted, 237,100 rounds, or about 52%, have been recovered so far.He said coordinated measures were being taken to ensure public confidence and a peaceful election.
Bangladesh Ansar and Village Defence Force (VDP) Director General Major General Abdul Motaleb Sajjad Mahmud said armed Ansar members would be deployed inside polling stations to ensure the security of presiding officers and prevent any illegal activities.
Home Affairs Adviser Lt Gen (retd) Md Jahangir Alam Chowdhury said members of the armed forces would be treated as law enforcement personnel and could enter polling station premises if necessary.Home Affairs Secretary Nasimul Gani said body cameras would reach the field level within five days, adding that drones would be used where required. He said all forces would be deployed four days before polling and remain in the field for seven days after the election.
He also said round-the-clock monitoring teams led by joint secretaries of the Home Ministry would begin work from Wednesday, using body cameras to ensure real-time reporting and documentation of incidents.After viewing a demonstration video on body camera use, the chief adviser said the technology had significant potential and could bring major benefits if used properly. He added that such coordination meetings would now be held weekly, or more frequently if needed.
https://www.dhakatribune.com/401497



