Dhaka Court Extends Salman Shah Death Inquiry Deadline to Feb 22, 2026

 

The murder case was filed on Oct 20 last year by Alamgir on behalf of Salman’s mother Neela Chowdhury nearly 29 years after the actor’s death.Salman’s wife Samira Haque and 11 others have been named as suspects, including her mother Latifa Haque Lucy and Rizvi Ahmed alias Farhad.

Labonno Chowdhury : Salman Shah, a massive superstar in Bangladeshi cinema, was found dead in his apartment on September 6, 1996. Previous investigations by the CID and PBI concluded it was a suicide, but his family has consistently rejected these findings.The case names 11 individuals as suspects, including Salman Shah’s former wife, Samira Haque, and businessman Aziz Mohammad Bhai.

New Evidence/Claims: During the January 2026 hearing, the complainant’s lawyer requested the court to seize the movable and immovable assets of the accused to ensure their presence at trial, as they have allegedly remained at large for decades.

  • Investigative Shift: On October 20, 2025, the court formally ordered the death be treated as a murder case under Section 302 of the Penal Code.
  • The Delay: Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Jewel Rana granted the extension after the Ramna Model Police Station failed to submit the report by the January 13 deadline.
  • The Accused: The investigation focuses on 11 suspects, including his former wife Samira Haque and businessman Aziz Mohammad Bhai.
  • Legal Action: The complainant has requested the court to seize the assets of the accused to prevent them from evading the ongoing 2026 proceedings.

A Dhaka court has set Feb 22 for submission of the investigation report in the murder case filed over the death of film actor Salman Shah, granting police more than a month to complete the probe.The date was fixed on Tuesday by Metropolitan Magistrate Jewel Rana after the investigating officer Inspector Atikul Islam Khandaker of Ramna Model Police Station sought more time as he could not submit the report on the scheduled day.

During the hearing, Advocate Faruk Ahmad, representing the complainant Alamgir Kumkum, also applied for seizure of the movable and immovable assets of the suspect.He told the court that the suspect had remained absent for 29 years, obstructing justice, and sought confiscation of their properties to ensure arrest and fair trial.After hearing the petition, the court ordered the application to be recorded, Prosecution Police Sub-inspector Jinnat Ali said.

The murder case was filed on Oct 20 last year by Alamgir on behalf of Salman’s mother Neela Chowdhury nearly 29 years after the actor’s death.Salman’s wife Samira Haque and 11 others have been named as suspects, including her mother Latifa Haque Lucy and Rizvi Ahmed alias Farhad.

The case alleges that Salman was killed through a premeditated plan involving the named and unidentified absconding suspect. Salman, whose real name was Chowdhury Mohammad Shahriar Emon, was found dead in his Eskaton flat in Dhaka on Sept 6, 1996, at the peak of his film career.

While initial investigations by the Criminal Investigation Department and later the Police Bureau of Investigation concluded it was a suicide, his family repeatedly rejected those findings, seeking further investigation.On Oct 20, the court accepted the revision petition filed by his mother and ordered the case to be registered as murder, directing Ramna Police to investigate and submit a report.

Scroll to Top